If you need a pet sitter but have difficulty finding the right one, this article will help you choose a qualified person that will provide care for your friend while you and your family members are away from home.
Benefits of Hiring a Pet Sitter
If you cannot travel with your dog or simply must be away from home, say for a business trip or emergency situation, you need someone to take care of your Fido. Boarding your dog in a kennel may be costly and, more often than not, kennels are already booked up for the weeks ahead. In this case, many pet owners ask their friends or neighbors to come to their house, pour some kibble in a pet’s bowl, and have a quick walk with him. But is this what’s best for your furry friend? Agree that your friends or neighbors don’t have a proper pet-care experience. So, hiring a professional pet sitter is the best option.
A pet sitter is a qualified person paid to care for your pup while you’re away. They are often true animal lovers with a good background in dog care, training, and even grooming. Most of them have their own pets and know themselves how hard it can be to leave pets in someone else’s hands. Hence, a good pet sitter will offer the best care possible.
In a word, hiring a dedicated person offers many benefits for both you and your pet.
Your dog or dogs will get:
- The environment they know best.
- The same diet and daily routine.
- Relief from traveling or staying in an unfamiliar kennel with other pets.
- Proper attention when you’re away.
- Fun pastime.
- Grooming routine.
You will get:
- Happier friends, relatives, or neighbors that aren’t burdened with caring for your Fido.
- Peace of mind, knowing that your pet is in professional hands.
- A person that will be a great crime deterrent, since criminals usually avoid homes if someone is there.
- Some other services from pet-oriented ones like dog grooming to home duties like watering plants, lawn maintenance, cleaning a pool and more.
However, finding somebody to care for your little friend in your absence can be as difficult as finding a babysitter. You must be sure that the person you entrust will care for your pup just as you would. And a dog camera can provide you with additional peace of mind.
How to Choose a Good Pet Sitter
Finding a responsible person to take care of your dog might be a tricky job. So, we’d like to give you some tips that may help you find a qualified, caring, and professional individual worth his/her salt.
- Remember that anyone may look good on paper or on screen, however, it’s crucial to interview every candidate even if he or she displays impressive credentials at pet sitting. Don’t hesitate to ask important and personal questions as a stranger will be in charge of your pet and your home. You need to host a formal process set up.
- Before the arrival of a potential pet sitter, make a list of questions to ask. The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) has an example of “a pet sitter interview” with a comprehensive list of questions. Among the most important aspects are:
- Experience. Has a person ever performed this service before and if yes, whether they have done that competently? Ask to give references to previous employees. A qualified pet sitter is sure to have a list of regular clients. If you’re provided with references to speak with, call them and ask questions that cater specifically to your pet’s needs.
- Special skills or training. Quite a lot of professional pet sitters took animal safety courses to be prepared in an emergency. If that goes for your interlocutor, it would add scores to his/her experience and give peace of mind to you.
- Official contract. Ask a potential pet sitter to give written proof of the commercial liability insurance coverage for some accidents and negligence. Also, it’s normal to sign an official contract with the requirements clearly stated. Make sure that all the tasks are defined.
- Emergency. Unfortunately, accidents and mishaps might happen sooner or later. So, we strongly recommend you to select an experienced person who is resourceful enough to protect your dog. Ask questions what he/she would do in critical situations. For senior pets or dogs with special needs, the potential sitter should be ready to give medication, provide proper feeding, and be able to perform health-related procedures. Most pet sitting services have connections with veterinary network and can provide professional help if need be.
- Try-out. Giving a pet sitter a test run is a wise choice. Even if you’ve eventually found a good pet sitter that meets all your criteria, it’s important that your little friend approves him or her. Let them spend half a day together to find out whether your pet will perform all the tasks and a sitter will interact with your dog.
- Back up. You never know what might happen with a pet sitter, so it would be wise to check whether he or she has a backup friend or another pet sitter. This will save you from stress and the extra cost of having to fly home before the end of your trip.
Pet Sitting Services
We believe that the only way to find a good pet sitter is to choose a professional from a pet-sitting organization. Pet sitting online services are a way out. They offer you a great opportunity to take care of your pet and watch your house while you’re away. Dog sitter services can help you find the best sitter for your pet since they include extensive databases with thousands of pet sitters to choose from. Plus, thanks to convenient filters, you can narrow down your search based on the specific requirements.
Below, you’ll find more about one of the best pet sitting services in the USA that works in all states to cover your needs – Rover. It offers you pet boarding, house sitting, dog walking, daycare, drop-in visits, grooming, and even training. All the potential pet sitters offered by Rover have undergone background checks and have feedback from previous pet owners. So, you can rest assured knowing that your pet is in loving hands. With a good sitter, going beyond your social circles won’t be a problem anymore.
Rover is the most extensive USA service with over 25,000 pet sitters nationwide. The huge online database allows you to browse photos of pet sitters’ homes, pets, and past stays. And each of the sitters is individually reviewed and approved by Rover’s professionals to make sure your pet will get the best care possible. People who offer house sitting have additionally completed a background check. Plus, all sitters are backed by Rover’s support and security.
The Premium Pet Insurance provided by the company includes medical coverage as well as general and professional liability, thus, giving you an extra layer of protection. It guarantees that you can have peace of mind knowing that your pet is happily fed and healthy. And if for some reason your arranged sitter has canceled the booking at the last minute, the 24/7 support team will find you a new sitter.
Pet sitters can either come to stay at your home or watch your four-legged family member in their home (depending on your preferences). To let you know your pet is in good hands, they usually send pet parents photos and videos.
To make the search of your dog’s other best friend even easier, the service offers a free Rover App. This way, you’ll be able to find a house sitter on-the-go without missing a beat.
In order that your pet can get loving, individual care, Rover offers different services including pet sitting, in-home boarding, dog walking, daycare, and more.
Dog Boarding is ideal if you need just overnight pet care.
House Sitting is sensible if you require an overnight house-sitting service.
Dog Walking service is available whenever your pet needs a walk.
Day Care involves daytime pet care in a sitter’s dog-friendly home.
Drop-in Visits are good just for potty breaks, feeding time, and play dates. Such visits are also ideal for those pet parents who want somebody to keep an eye on their home.
Although Rover focuses on dog services, it also offers sitters for cats, caged pets, and even horses.
The pricing usually varies depending on the service you need. On average, pet sitters charge $25 per day no matter the state you’re living in. Importantly, pet parents are charged a service fee of 5-7% of the booking total. Like many other services, Rover offers some special deals. For example, you can use the coupon code and get a $10 credit towards your first booking.
With flexible prices, professional team, and extra services, Rover is deservedly one of the best pet sitters services you can deal with. It will help you find a dog sitter you can trust.